The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of October 2019 stands at 127.7, which is 3.8 percent lower as compared to the level in the month of October 2018. The cumulative growth for the period April-October 2019 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 0.5 percent.
2. The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of October 2019 stand at 99.5, 131.1 and 145.8 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of (-) 8.0 percent, (-) 2.1 percent and (-) 12.2 percent as compared to October 2018 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-October 2019 over the corresponding period of 2018 has been (-) 0.4 percent, 0.5 percent and 1.6 percent respectively.
3. In terms of industries, eighteen out of the twenty three industry groups (as per 2-digit level of National Industrial Classification-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown negative growth during the month of October 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II). The industry group ‘Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 31.3 percent followed by (-) 27.9 percent in ‘Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of chemicals and chemical products’ has shown the highest positive growth of 31.8 percent followed by 9.4 percent in ‘Manufacture of basic metals’.
4. As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in October 2019 over October 2018 are (-) 6.0 percent in Primary goods, (-) 21.9 percent in Capital goods, 22.2 percent in Intermediate goods and (-) 9.2 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of (-) 18.0 percent and (-) 1.1 percent respectively.
5. Details of item groups exhibiting larger variations in production in absolute terms and weighted terms are at Statement IV.
6. Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of October 2019, the indices for September 2019 have undergone the first revision and those for July 2019 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.
7. Statements giving Quick Estimates of the Index of Industrial Production at Sectoral, 2-digit level of National Industrial Classification (NIC-2008) and by Use-based classification for the month of October 2019, along with the growth rates over the corresponding month of the previous year including the cumulative indices are enclosed.
8. Release of the Index for November 2019 will be on Friday, 10 January 2020.
- This Press release information is also available at the Website of the Ministry – http://www.mospi.nic.in
- Press release in Hindi follows and shall be available at: http://mospi.nic.in/hi
|STATEMENT I: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION – SECTORAL|
|(Base : 2011-12=100)|
|Growth over the corresponding period of previous year|
|* Figures for Oct 2019 are Quick Estimates.|
|NOTE : Indices for the months of Jul’19 and Sep’19 incorporate updated production data.
|STATEMENT II: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION – (2-DIGIT LEVEL)|
|Industry||Description||Weight||Index||Cumulative Index||Percentage growth|
|10||Manufacture of food products||5.3025||117.8||115.3||104.9||115.0||-2.1||9.6|
|11||Manufacture of beverages||1.0354||98.8||91.7||110.7||111.2||-7.2||0.5|
|12||Manufacture of tobacco products||0.7985||100.4||92.8||89.3||93.9||-7.6||5.2|
|13||Manufacture of textiles||3.2913||120.2||112.0||119.8||114.5||-6.8||-4.4|
|14||Manufacture of wearing apparel||1.3225||141.1||137.5||143.2||159.3||-2.6||11.2|
|15||Manufacture of leather and related products||0.5021||119.2||111.7||126.5||124.0||-6.3||-2.0|
|16||Manufacture of wood and products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials||0.1930||108.6||115.6||104.2||117.4||6.4||12.7|
|17||Manufacture of paper and paper products||0.8724||108.3||91.6||108.0||93.4||-15.4||-13.5|
|18||Printing and reproduction of recorded media||0.6798||97.3||80.5||95.3||91.2||-17.3||-4.3|
|19||Manufacture of coke and refined petroleum products||11.7749||131.2||132.1||126.6||125.4||0.7||-0.9|
|20||Manufacture of chemicals and chemical products||7.8730||118.0||155.5||118.6||124.3||31.8||4.8|
|21||Manufacture of pharmaceuticals, medicinal chemical and botanical products||4.9810||212.3||217.1||208.0||216.2||2.3||3.9|
|22||Manufacture of rubber and plastics products||2.4222||113.1||95.5||109.8||102.1||-15.6||-7.0|
|23||Manufacture of other non-metallic mineral products||4.0853||124.7||112.8||121.3||118.9||-9.5||-2.0|
|24||Manufacture of basic metals||12.8043||143.2||156.7||138.6||156.9||9.4||13.2|
|25||Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment||2.6549||105.9||85.3||107.3||91.8||-19.5||-14.4|
|26||Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products||1.5704||197.2||135.5||176.6||166.3||-31.3||-5.8|
|27||Manufacture of electrical equipment||2.9983||115.6||110.6||108.9||105.8||-4.3||-2.8|
|28||Manufacture of machinery and equipment n.e.c.||4.7653||130.1||106.6||121.5||108.4||-18.1||-10.8|
|29||Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers||4.8573||132.1||95.3||126.7||105.3||-27.9||-16.9|
|30||Manufacture of other transport equipment||1.7763||164.3||133.4||154.4||142.6||-18.8||-7.6|
|31||Manufacture of furniture||0.1311||215.2||182.5||219.4||197.6||-15.2||-9.9|
|* Figures for October 2019 are Quick Estimates.|
|STATEMENT III: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION – USE-BASED|
|Primary goods||Capital goods||Intermediate goods||Infrastructure/ Construction goods||Consumer durables||Consumer non-durables|
|Growth over the corresponding period of previous year|
|* Indices for Oct 2019 are Quick Estimates.|
|NOTE : Indices for the months of Jul’19 and Sep’19 incorporate updated production data.|
|Sl No||Item Group||Weights (%)||Production Growth (%)|
|Item Groups with high negative growth in production|
|1||Harvesters and threshers||0.21||-74.2|
|2||Printed Circuit Boards (whether or not mounted with IC chips /components)||0.22||-55.5|
|3||Bars and Rods of Alloy and Stainless Steel||0.57||-55.4|
|4||Cut & Polished diamonds||0.16||-51.4|
|5||Meters (electric and non-electric)||0.16||-46.4|
|Item Groups with high positive growth in production|
|3||Ship building and parts thereof||0.19||56.1|
|4||Pipes and tubes of Steel||0.34||54.7|
|5||Industrial Valves of different types- safety, relief and control valves(non-electronic, non-electrical)||0.53||28.3|
|Sl No||Item Group||Weights (%)||Contribution to IIP Growth|
|High Negative Contributors|
|3||Bars and Rods of Alloy and Stainless Steel||0.57||-0.6114|
|4||Auto components/ spares and accessories||2.59||-0.6109|
|5||Two-wheelers (motorcycles/ scooters)||1.36||-0.4979|
|High Positive Contributors|
|1||Fragrances & Oil essentials||0.20||2.5036|
|3||Digestive enzymes and antacids (incl. PPI drugs)||0.22||0.4187|
|4||HR coils and sheets of mild steel||1.35||0.3676|